Caravan and Camping Forums

Here you can checkout whats happening with our site
Post a photo and share a memorable trip with our members
or simply respond to an existing post on the forums.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question Transformer problems, Output 15.8volt not 12 Volt

Transformer problems, Output 15.8volt not 12 Volt #769

• billi2
  • billi2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, I have just wired 2 x 12 volt outlets to allow us to charge our phones overnight. I wired them into the 12 volt light circuit and foolishly did not check the voltage just assumed it would be 12 volt.
When I put an 12 volt USB adaptor it fried immediately. So in a genuine male approach I then checked the voltage and it was 15.8 volt with nothing else on and 14.3 volt with the internal lights on.
The 12 volt lights seem to work OK, I have not tried any other appliance to see if they work.
Can anyone comment about the sensitivity of a USB charger adaptor to the extra few volts. I am goint to try a 12v-24v USB adaptor to see if this copes.
Also the sockets are wired centre positive, outer housing negative, I believe this is correct polarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transformer problems, Output 15.8volt not 12 Volt #770

• Garry
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationHave you thought about a solar portable phone charger like one of these on ebay?

You can have it charging the battery bank in your van, and later on pop your phone onto it, and charge it from the inbuilt battery overnight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Garry.
  • Page: